Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pleased and Proud...

-
...of how well my front flower bed is looking at the moment, through almost no recent effort on my part, save a little weeding and pruning. Everything that is currently blooming was planted several years ago or was self-sown from last year. Gotta love perennials and self-sowing annuals!

(^ click for big, and please ignore the weeds!)
-
Those reddish roses in the foreground used to be blue-ish colored hybrid teas, (I wrote about them several years ago), but they've reverted back to their humble root stock, and I haven't had the heart to replace them when they're such happy bloomers. Maybe this fall....


These peonies have performed fantastically,
ever since I first planted them about 7 or 8 years ago.

-

After being moved three times, my false indigo, (Baptisia australis),
is finally happy where it gets the most sunshine.

-

And my birdhouse may be getting a tenant:

(^ click for big)
-
Papa Bird came by and inspected each apartment, and then called for Mama Bird, who remains to be seen....

The ever-present tall purple bloomers in that bed are Dame's Rocket, (Hesperis matronalis), which make a ridiculous amount of seeds and self-sow everywhere. They're about the same color, grow taller, spread better and bloom longer than money plant, (Lunaria annua); therefore I highly recommend them for a cottage or wildflower garden.

The 32 Delphiniums I planted two weeks ago seem to be taking hold. I water them every few days, and although they haven't started to shoot up yet, they're surviving and growing new leaves and not dying, which is all I can ask for, at this point.

I still need to plant my recent plant sale purchases, and perhaps Sunday might be the best day for that, weather-wise. It's only supposed to get to 72ºF, whereas the rest of the week will be in the 80's. I just need to be able to extract myself in a timely fashion from the Mother's Day visit at my parents' house. And at some point I need to put in my mother's annual flower bed, which I often do on Mother's Day, but it may have to wait until next weekend. We'll see.
-

6 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Robin said...

OH...your garden is so beautiful!!! I may need you to come give me some tips! My wrens got a divorce over the next he built...the biggest fight you've ever seen when Mrs Wren came to inspect it!

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purple flowers, will you save me some seeds?

Robin C

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger gardenmomma (Chris) said...

What a beautiful cottage garden! I may have to try the Dame's Rocket. It looks great.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Sue Swift said...

I love the colour combination of the red and the purple. I'd never have thought of it, but it works wonderfully.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

What a pretty garden. You should be proud of it, and I didn't see any weeds.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger IlonaGarden said...

A lovely, dreamy garden, beautifully done. Your photos are entrancing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home