Sunday, October 15, 2006

Autumn Flowers

-
Seems I'm only inspired to update my garden blog when the weather is nice, and I suppose that makes sense. These days I tend to avoid the outdoors in the heat of summer, and in the dead of winter, there's not much to photograph or talk about, unless we have a snow or ice storm. So, this may be my last post for 2006, unless Mom Nature prompts me otherwise.

There's a surprising amount of things blooming in my garden -- you'd almost think it was Spring. And speaking of Spring, I even found an abandoned nest the other day, between a window shutter and my porch wall:

I'm thinking this was probably a purple finch nest and egg.
I'm sad it never hatched.

-

This has been another neglectful year for my garden. I'm thinking that my passion for gardening has waned a bit, but I'm okay with that -- it was more of an obsession at its height, and obsessions aren't healthy, so I'm told. But part of me misses the fervor I once held for all things green and blooming. And I'm a bit sad at how many botanical names and how much horticultural information I once had memorized, but have since forgotten. I'm nothing, if not a fickle hobbyist.

Because of this benign neglect, what blooms I do have are just forlorn and lonely representatives of their species. Rather than robust and plentiful displays of color, I have just a spot here or there of pink or blue or purple. But at least there is some kind of color. And what I have this year is far better than the death and destruction from drought I experienced last summer and fall.

So I am grateful for perennials that refuse to die, such as:

Autumn Crocus.
(I'm just wild about saffron...).

-

Eupatorium coelestinum
-

Bonica Rose
-

Rose
-

Zinnia
-

Creeping Plumbago
-

Verbena 'Homestead Purple'
-

Salvia
-

Oxalis
-

Zinnia
-

Zebra Grass
-

Hey -- it's still Autumn, after all....
-

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Becka said...

How lovely, your photos certainly don't show neglect! The flowers are gorgeous! It feels so good to get your hands dirty in the earth, doesn't it?! Almost as nice as knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home