Saturday, August 11, 2007

Skylight Gardening

-
The garden blog has been quiet for a month -- we must be in the throes of a late summer heat blast.

When the weather gets like it has been this past week, (highs > 100°F, lows barely less than 90°F), I tend to hibernate inside the house, and let the garden fend for itself, for better or worse. I did harvest the few remaining 'Sweet 100' grape tomatoes on the shriveling vine, and they were delicious, if sparse. I think I'll plant two or three of them next year.

Since I'm currently working from home, I can go days without leaving the house. Who wants to walk out into that blast-furnace of heat and humidity? Not I.

Mercifully, today is much more moderate -- temps only in the mid-80s. A welcome break of blessed relief.

When I am working from home, sitting at my desk I do have a nice view:
-Various swaying trees, including a Mimosa, which is in bloom right now.


If I zoom in, and in, and in and in:


I can see Mimosa flowers from the (dis)comfort of my desk chair. And sometimes I even see hummingbirds flitting from one fuzzy flower to another. And the occasional hummingbird moth. All without having to open the front door or even get out of my chair.

I love my skylights.


Casey says:

"Wake me up when summer is over!"
-

7 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Great looking cat. Although I had cats growing up, my first family cat was a gray one similar to yours named, Thumper. We had her for 17 years. We've had 3 other cats, all living between 14 and 17 years. Love cats.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Antigonum Cajan said...

What a great pleasure! From my window I enjoy the yellow,white,pink frangipani, a couple of dracaenas and one coccoloba uvifera. Our cat Mimi, passed away, but her spirit is with us. Congratulations!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Connie said...

After many trials of cherry tomatoes, Sweet 100 is my favorite, and the only one I grow now.
Lovely view of the mimosa tree from your skylight!

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that is a lovely view. you must find that very calming? You have stopped blogging though. Dont stop! We're still here reading!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

Aaaaw, too cute! =)

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Garden Plants said...

Love the photo of the Mimosa, in the Uk we call these Albizia which is in the subfamily Mimosoideae and also known as the silk tree, Each year we bring these in from Spain and sell them mailorder. If you have a moment please click hear to visit our website.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Tiffany Larsen said...

You had an amazing time in there! I can’t blame you. Having a view like that is one of a kind. A skylight really does have a lot of uses. I just wish I have the same view at home. I could see nothing but roofs of my neighbors.

Tiffany Larsen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home